Imagining a Firefox extension
Today we’re thinking about ways to make it easier to create new thinglinks. If you had a lot of new things that you wanted to talk about on thinglink.org, you might start by taking photos of each one and uploading them to a photo service like flickr or 23. If you did that right now, you’d have quite a job ahead of you to cut and paste all those titles and photos into the form on thinglink.org.
We imagined a Firefox extension that could make this job easier. The process would go something like this:
- the user takes a photo of a thing and uploads it in the usual way
- on the photo page, an extra button appears saying ‘make a thinglink’
- when clicked, this button takes the user to the thinglink.org form for registering a new thinglink
- the form has been pre-populated with the photo and its title from the photo page
- the user fills in the rest of the information
- after submitting, the extension automatically goes back to
the photo page and adds the tag ‘thingtagged’ and a tag like ‘thing:265CII’ for the
newly-allocated thinglink code
What do you think? How hard is it to make an extension like that?