This is the 7th post in the ThingLink Teacher Challenge series. Please Tweet and share through social media with the hashtag #TLChallenge. Feel free to repost any of the challenges on your own blog and be sure to invite your friends and colleagues to participate.
Week 7: Turn it Up a Notch with Sound from Audioboo
In this activity you will
- Sign up for a free Audioboo account and download Audioboo mobile for iOS.
- Create an interactive image that is enhance through the use of sound.
- Learn about Universal Design for Learning.
- Design a learning experience with built-in supports for all learners.
- Share and self-publish your ThingLink on our Padlet, Turn it Up with Sound.
In this activity you will explore the use of sound to create an interactive image enhanced by audio. You will reflect on ways to design lessons to support the unique learning needs of all students, and discover the possibilities that exist for embracing audio. Grab your iPad or iPhone and capture sound on the go with the Audioboo app, or record something more formal from your laptop. It’s time to tap into sound.
ThingLink is a multimedia rich and flexible tool can be used to support the diverse learning needs of all students, putting power in the hands of the facilitator of a well designed lesson. So let’s focus a bit on designing lessons from the start that are equipped with built-support and designed for success.
Universal Design for Learning supports the idea of designing lessons from the start that are equipped with support for all learners to overcome learning barriers and to meet their diverse learning needs.
Watch Interactive Video
Example: Apollo 11
I used very short snippets of public domain audio from NASA for the audio on this image. It’s important to be mindful of copyright rules and stay within acceptable use guidelines.
Example: created by Darren from Audioboo
Simple Example: Spanish Vocabulary Words
Classroom Connections and Modifications
Perhaps the best thing about recording and easily tagging an image with audio is the ability to capture those beautiful student voices. Here are just a few ideas:
- Enrich an illustration or collage with student narrated original piece of writing.
- Create a comic strip and ask students to record the dialogue.
- Create a poster about a famous person or event and record quotes in students’ voices.
- Create and record original music.
- Enrich images with recorded oral histories.
- Facilitate a group project with audio book reports, book reviews, book ttrailers, comments and more.
- Explore resources available in Audioboo to create your own sound enhanced interactive image.
Challenge: Directions at a Glance
- Add an image to your ThingLink EDU account.
- Add rich media tags with Audioboo sound to enhance image. (Directions below)
- Add multimedia supports to meet diverse learning needs. Consider including video, images, text at differentiated levels, and simulations if possible.
- Add your finished interactive image to the Padlet, Turn it Up with Sound. Directions below)
Get Started with Audioboo
- Sign up for Audioboo with your email address or their twitter credentials.
- Download the iOS app from the iTunes store if you wish.
- Record audio and copy the web address at the top of the page.
- Create a rich media tag on your interactive image and paste the URL from Audioboo into the tag editor.
- Remember to use proper attribution.
Add ThingLink to Padlet
Use of a Padlet is a easy way to collect ThingLink Interactive images. Anyone can add a ThingLink to a Padlet easily without logging in. Try it yourself, then think of how easy it will be to ask students to turn in their own interactive images directly to the Padlet. These illustrated directions can also be found right on the Padlet, Turn it Up with Sound.
Additional Help and Support
ThingLink Teacher Challenge at a Glance
Intro: 3 Reasons to Take the ThingLink Teacher Challenge
Week 1: Get Started
Week 2: Design Your Digital Self
Week 3: Digging Deeper Into Vocabulary
Week 4: Create an Interactive Map
Week 5: Flip It with ThingLink for Video
Week 6: ThingLink UnPlugged to Extend the Classroom Walls
Explore our Showcase