Image of the Week: Take a Coral Reef Adventure!
Ever wish you could take your students on an adventure of a lifetime? Today’s school budgets limit travel, but ThingLink 360/VR has no limits. Our image of the week, courtesy of Dr. Larysa Nadolny, takes students on a deep sea dive to have a coral reef adventure.
Take a Field Trip Under the Sea
Dr. Nadolny’s 360/VR image takes students to the coral to discover a location few get the privilege to visit. Students learn about the purpose of coral reefs with the help of videos and Google Maps. Students get a peak into the design thinking process of how 3-D printing technology could help rebuild many of the reefs we have lost. Where would you want your students to explore virtually?
Learning Standards to Support an Immersive Experience
Next Generation Science Standards:
- Construct a scientific explanation based on evidence for how environmental and genetic factors influence the growth of organisms.
- Analyze and interpret data to provide evidence for the effects of resource availability on organisms and populations of organisms in an ecosystem.
- Develop a model to describe the cycling of matter and flow of energy among living and nonliving parts of an ecosystem.
- Construct an argument supported by empirical evidence that changes to physical or biological components of an ecosystem affect populations.
- Evaluate competing design solutions for maintaining biodiversity and ecosystem services.