The start of the New Year seems like the perfect time to review teacher management features to make it simpler for students to signup, create and collaborate with ThingLink. We hope you will find these quick video tutorials with accompanying written directions to be helpful. In addition, we invite you to attend our upcoming webinar, Build Your ThingLink Classroom, on January 13th at 8:00 PM EDT for a comprehensie overview of features with ideas for integration.
Create a ThingLink
If you are new to ThingLink, watch this video to help you create your first ThingLink.
If you are a teacher, you should be working in our ThingLink EDU space. If you don’t yet have a ThingLink account, go to www.thinglink.com/edu. If you have already signed up for a general account you can upgrade to a teacher account by selecting the Teacher button and logging in again with the same login.
Sign in with Google Account
If your school uses Google Apps for Education, students can easily sign up for a ThingLink account with their Google username and password. Watch this quick video tutorial or follow the directions below to learn how to sign up with Google.
- Start by going to www.ThingLink.com/EDU, then select I’m a student.
- On the next screen choose Login with Google.
- There you’ll be prompted to type in your Google username and password. Sign in and click Accept
- Now your new student account has been created.
This student account is not yet associated with a teacher account, but that’s easy to do.
- Click on Accounts at the top of the screen and select the Groups icon.
- On the next screen you’ll see a chance to enter an Invite Code from a teacher.
- Students can simply enter the Invite Code into the box and click Join.
- Now the student has been added to the teacher’s group.
To learn more about creating and working with groups, watch the video titled “Working with groups”
Sign in with Teacher Created Accounts
If your students are under 13 and without email addresses or GAFE accounts, you can create ThingLink accounts for them. Watch this quick video tutorial or review the written directions below to learn more.
- Start by logging in to your ThingLink EDU teacher account and clicking on the Account icon at the top of the screen.
- From the menu that appears, select Groups.
- On the next screen you will see that a default group has been created. This is the group you will add your students to.
- To quickly create accounts for your students, Click on Register Students
- In the box that appears, type student usernames or copy and paste them from an existing class list to speed up the process. Usernames can be first and last names or they can be any unique name.
- When you are finished, click on Register Students
- Here you will see a list of students with a password that has been automatically generated. Be sure to keep a copy of this list by selecting Print This Page.
- Students can now login with the email address and password generated by ThingLink.
- Upon student login you will notice that there is 1 person listed as Following the student. This is the group owner, or teacher. This means the teacher can see all the work created by the students.
- If you want students to change their passwords, they can do so by clicking on the Account icon and selecting Settings. From there they can select My Account and easily change their password.
Teachers can create multiple groups for working collaboratively with students and there are many benefits associated with working with groups. To learn more about creating and working with groups, watch the video titled “Working with groups”
Sign In with Student Email Accounts
Students with existing email accounts that are not Google accounts can sign up for a ThingLink account with their email and password. They can become associated with one or more teacher accounts through the use of an invite code. Please view the tutorial Working with Group to learn how to use Invite Codes.
Working with Groups
One of the best features of ThingLink EDU teacher accounts is the ability to create and manage groups. Watch this video tutorial or read the written directions below it to learn more about working with groups.
Use the Invite Code to Add Students to Groups
- When you create your ThingLink teacher account, a default group is automatically created. You can view and manage this group by going to Account and selecting Groups from the menu that appears.
- On the next screen you will see that a default group has been created for use as your main student group. When students sign up for a ThingLink account they can join your. If you create accounts for students, they will automatically be members of your group.
- Students can join a group by logging in, clicking on Accounts and selecting the Groups icon.
- Next they can type in the Invite Code and join a group.
Create & Multiple Groups
Teachers can create multiple groups for multiple purposes. Each group can have it’s own settings to allow for collaboration and members of a specific group can share custom icons. Let’s take a closer look at how teachers can log in to work with and manage specific groups.
- Go to Account and select Login as Group at the bottom of the screen.
- When you login as a group, the first thing you will notice is that your profile picture will change. Anything you create within this group is only visible to group members. Here you will see all the work of the students in your group in one place. This provides a safe and secure place for students to work together and also to collaborate.
Tag Student Work to Provide Feedback
A great benefit of working with groups is that teachers, as group owners, can add tags to students images. This is a useful way to provide feedback to students.
- Click on a student image
- Explore the tags on the image
- Click the Edit icon and add a tag.
- If you are an EDU Premium user, you will notice all of the Custom Icons created are available for use by all group members.
Manage Settings for Specific Groups
- When logged in as a group, select Account, then select Settings.
- Change the profile picture for the group through the Profile tab.
- Change the Editing Rights to allow anyone in a group to edit all of the images by selecting the My Image Settings tab.
- Upload custom icons through the Tag Icons setting.
District Level Sign Up
Now any district can request their own invitation links allowing teachers and students to use their Google ID or email to sign up to ThingLink’s Freemum EDU or Premium EDU account from desktop or mobile. A district association is free of cost and makes it easier for larger districts to manage group signups, administrators, and upgrades.
If you are interested in a ThingLink account for your school district, please email Education@ThingLink.com and we will email your code when it is released.
Join our Webinar on January 13th
We will be hosting a webinar on January 13th to provide teachers with a comprehensive overview of how to Build Your ThingLink Classroom. This session will include ideas for simple student signups, managing student groups and using ThingLink to power student projects. We will also take a closer look at the amazing ThingLink App and explore the use of Channels for curating collections of content. We invite you to join us.
Live at 8PM EDT or sign up for the archive
More Ways to Build Your ThingLink Classroom
Stay tuned to the ThingLink Blog for more useful tutorials to help you Build Your ThingLink Classroom, including
- Working with our Amazing App
- Working with Channels
If you would like to request a tutorial, please send an email to Susan@ThingLink.com.